Scarning lies a few miles to the east of
Dereham. The name Scarning may be
derived from the old English for 'dirty brook'.
Dr Augustus Jessopp (1824-1914) was the rector at
St. Peter and St. Pauls' Church in Scarning for 32 years.
Previously he was headmaster at the
Norwich School in the
Gravestone of Augustus
He was the author of Arcady
for Better or Worse (1887) - a collection of stories
which were inspired by his congregation at Scarning. One of
the locals who became his friend was 'Loafing Ben' - a burly
ne'er do well. Jessopp was
also a passionate historian and remembered for The Coming
of the Friars - a portrait of medieval East Anglia and
One Generation of a Norfolk House - which dealt with
Norfolk life during the 16th Century.
Jessopp is buried in the churchyard and a granite cross
marks the spot - lying close to the entrance from The Hall.
The Arcadian Club was established to promote interest in
Jessopp's work and occasional meetings are held in the